[SML] Boom Pipe Storage Ideas?

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:44:49 UTC 2015

Not  knowing what your venue can afford you in terms of space, here
are some quick thoughts.

Can you find an underused or misused corner that could allow you to
stand the pipe vertically and then constrain it with wall-mounted
chains at least three heights?

Does your shop or back wall allow the installation of a horizontal
rack(s) that the pipe could lay on horizontally? If your shop is well
equipped, you could fabricate in-house and likely store other
materials as well. Keeper chain around each stack as well as slanted
arms could retain the pipe.

Do you have a spare pipe batten or can you install a dedicated lineset
that you could trapeze the pipe from horizontally?

If you have a counterweight system rigging wall available, could you
find space either upstage or downstage of the last or first arbor that
you could vertically store the pipe and chain it to?

You don't mention bases, but if you have them, perhaps building a
castered steel cart to store and transport them would be in order. Set
them up on edge for easy access.

In my former situation, we used each of those methods at one time or
another. The horizontal rack was welded from 1/4" x 3" angle iron
lagged to the concrete shop wall with 2" x 3" rect. tube welded on for
arms about 18" long. There are 5 identical supports lagged to the
concrete with 1/2" epoxy set bolts. The units are spaced to
accommodate 24'-0" steel tube. The full rack has 6 "shelves"
available.
Good luck.
Steve Rees