[SML] Boom Pipe Storage Ideas?

bruce at ledworklights.com bruce at ledworklights.com
Thu Jan 22 23:23:59 UTC 2015

<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Anyone out there have any particularly clever ideas on storing boom pipe?
>> In our larger theater we have a full set of 21' booms, 12' booms, and
>> various shorter lengths of pipe for use as well.  I'm kicking around some
>> thoughts on better, safer storage, but thought I'd pick the collective
>> wisdom as well.
>

>Does your shop or back wall allow the installation of a horizontal
>rack(s) that the pipe could lay on horizontally? If your shop is well
>equipped, you could fabricate in-house and likely store other
>materials as well. Keeper chain around each stack as well as slanted
>arms could retain the pipe.

--SNIP--

>In my former situation, we used each of those methods at one time or
>another. The horizontal rack was welded from 1/4" x 3" angle iron
>lagged to the concrete shop wall with 2" x 3" rect. tube welded on for
>arms about 18" long. There are 5 identical supports lagged to the
>concrete with 1/2" epoxy set bolts. The units are spaced to
>accommodate 24'-0" steel tube. The full rack has 6 "shelves"
>available.

Just a word of caution here:  At my current employer, we had such a
shop-built rack fail while fully loaded 5 years or so ago. [The bolts and
anchors failed.  Or rather some of the concrete failed, releasing the
anchors and shearing other bolts]  Like 12k lbs of steel falling down in a
crash they heard two buildings over.  Fortunately, the afternoon break had
just ended and no one was nearby.  After that, we switched to an industrial
Heavy-duty Cantilever storage rack.

 Given most folks labor rates, and the price of steel, purchasing a rack
can be a very cost-competitive option.  Plus, the engineering is done for
you.

  I'm not saying that no one should build their own racks.  Just saying
consider buying one if you aren't confident in your engineering skills
enough to trust the Chairman of the Board's daughter to walk by the thing
every day.

My .02

:Bruce Cooper

mail2web LIVE  Free email based on Microsoft Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE