[SML] Boom Pipe Storage Ideas?

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Thu Jan 22 23:13:36 UTC 2015

Jerry Durand wrote:

Drill a couple of large diameter wells, 12' deep and 21' deep.  Store
pipe in there.

Could be a problem if you're not on the ground floor of the building or
have a basement.

Doesn't work at all on ships.

If you go the well route, make sure you mark which one's deeper very well, or you'll never see the 12 footer you drop in the deep one.  Otherwise, leave them completely uncovered as a secret surprise in the dark!*  On ships, don't you go up, not down?  Just use that big vertical tube thingy sticking out the top.  Or, if it's an older ship, lash them to the masts, matey, and pretend they be extra yarrrrrrrds.  **

We store our spare pipe/battens/track sections vertically, usually in a corner, restrained with chain.  Flat on the ground where they can roll underfoot (pipes or ankles, your choice) is never a good plan unless very temporarily, regardless of the savings in potential energy.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Department

*Disclaimer:  For anyone who would like to point out the potential hazards of an unmarked 21' deep hole onstage, and I know that they're out there somewhere, it's a joke.  I swear.  A mean, funny, joke.

**Hi, Pat.  Too early?