[SML] Taiwan water park explosion

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 2 18:43:10 UTC 2015

National, and local flags are a part of our history, as are coats of arms.

Take the English Royal arms, for example. Three lions passant
guardant. Then they added the French royal arms as they had a claim to
the sovereignity of France. I do not remember when the Scottish royal
arms were added, nor when the Irish harp joined in. When William of
Orange took the throne, the arms of the House of Orange were
incorporated, and when George I took the throne, those of the
Electorate of Hanover joined in. In Victoria's time theywere
simplified. We had long given up our claim to France, which got rid of
their lilies, and, being a woman, she could not inherit the Hanover
titles.

A close examination of the masthead of the Times will show you the
Royal arms of England, Scotland, France, and Hanover, together with
the Irish harp. These were the Royal Arms when the paper was founded,
and have remained unchanged.

I beg you, do not throw away your history in favour of political
correctness. We, in the UK, have a long history. No doubt our national
emblems have been used in unworthy causes.

By the way, the swastika, also known as the fylfot, is an old, old
good luck symbol from the East. Early editions of the books of Rudyard
Kipling will have, embossed on their covers, a roundel with an
elephant's head and a swastika. Until defiled by the Nazi party, it
symbolised good fortune.

On 2 July 2015 at 17:29, Joe D via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I think there is a major difference between the swastika and the confederate flag as it is used by state governments in the US. The confederate flag is often flown by states to celebrate it and remember it as an identity. But, that identity is very closely associated with doing something evil, rather than good.  The swastika existed before the Nazis started using it, but now it is so closely associated with them, it cannot be use for anything else but to identify Nazis and all the evil they did.  The same is true for the confederate flag, though perhaps to a lesser extent.  For a large segment of the population, the confederate flag is inseparable from the goal of preserving slavery.
>
> -Joe

Frank Wood