[SML] Google Project Fi

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:33:23 UTC 2015

Is anyone else using or considering Google's Project Fi? I'm on the
invite list (estimated to receive invite in 4-8 weeks according to
their tracking system) but am currently on the fence about actually
using them. They use a combination of Sprint and T-Mobile, plus WiFi
(including free use of certain hotspots) for calling and data, which
appeals for coverage issues over one network alone. Plan cost is
currently $20 for unlimited talk & text, plus $10 per GB of
data--which seems high to me, but they advertise that you pay for what
you actually use--including refunding you for unused data down to the
$0.01/1 MB level, which gets applied to your next month's bill.

Although the data costs are pricey compared to other carriers
(especially since I'm on T-Mobile's $50 unlimited plan) I think it may
average out to be a net cost savings over a year since my data use is
typically low with occasional spikes from tethering or other uses. I'm
also currently in an area where there is no data or cell coverage on
my plan (there is, but very much $$$) so I will only be using WiFi for
the next couple of months anyway. Google Fi advertises calling and
data in 120+ countries, including the one I'm currently in, with
no-cost calling back to the states.

One other limiting factor is device choice, right now they only work
with the Google Nexus 6, which is a bit large and kludgy for my
tastes.

https://fi.google.com/

--
[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer