[SML] Masonite Stage Floor Issue

PATRICK MCCREARY VZE2GMHT at verizon.net
Thu Jul 16 22:02:30 UTC 2015

I have not had this experience because I don't use Theatrical Paint for
Architectural surfaces. Both of my performance space floors  are covered
with tempered hardboard - neither of them has this problem.

There are two possibilities here - either your 'masonite' is pretty
shitty stuff, or the Rosco product just isn't up to the job.

I have instructions posted here:

http://www.arts.iup.edu/facthe/gpatrick/instructions/duron%20instructions.htm

I am pretty specific bout the type of paint - for a reason.

Patrick

On 7/16/2015 2:31 PM, Matthew J. Evans via Stagecraft wrote:

> Over the summer, we installed a new stage floor surface on our stage.
> We used double-sided tempered hardboard - aka as Masonite.  Yes – I
> realize Masonite is like a brand name like Kleenex is to tissue.  The
> hardboard was laid over the original stage floor made out of maple
> tongue and groove boards. Expansion gaps were left in between each
> piece of Masonite and fastened to the ground with Senco 8x1 1/4 cement
> board screws. Before the floor was installed. We painted all surfaces
> and edges with Rosco Tough Prime. I’ve used Tough Prime since it came
> out and never had a problem with it.
>

> After the Masonite was fastened to the ground we noticed that the
> paint was coming off by rubbing our shoe against it. We were turning
> our foot on the edge of the sole and swiping the floor.  I'm not
> talking just a regular scuff from the rubber sole; I'm talking paint
> completely pulling off down to raw lumber. I contacted Jenny Knott at
> Rosco and explained our situation. She informed us that she had seen
> instances of this.  She went on to explain how the processing of
> tempered hardboard has changed over the years.  Apparently, the
> processing now involves linseed oil.  And as we all know, oil and
> water-based products do not mix. She advised us to wash the raw
> Masonite and apply more coats of paint. She also advised us to let the
> floor cure for 48 hours.
>

> The other layer of this onion involves our observation of lighter
> colored Masonite. I'm used to the chocolate brown Masonite. Instead,
> this Masonite was blond in color. I contacted the lumber yard, and
> they said color didn't make a difference.  The Masonite had a smooth
> finish on both sides, so I know it’s tempered.  We went to another
> lumber yard and picked up another batch of Masonite. This time it was
> a little bit darker – almost khaki colored - but not the dark
> chocolate color I'm used to.
>
> We paid extra attention to washing the floor and again painted all
> surfaces and edges.After laying the floor a second time, it was still
> doing the same thing with our shoes.We tried several tests using
> different coats of paint and ultimately discovered it would take four
> coats of paint to resist scuffing.
>

> It’s been about a week since we finished the last coat and yesterday
> we had to lay tape down on the floor to mask out an area to paint a
> safety line. Today, when we went to pull up the tape,some of the top
> layers of the floor came up with it.  The tape was down for 24 hours.
> The floor had over 48 hours to dry.
>
> I’m certain we may have a manufacturing issue with the lumber.The
> paint is adhering and doing its job. Rosco has checked the batch
> number and everything checks out.
>

> Has anybody experienced this?

G. Patrick McCreary
Technical Director