[SML] Bugs on a plane!!

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sun Jul 26 03:56:11 UTC 2015

Just like hotels, anything that is upholstered can get infested.   Call
the airlines and let them know what happened.  They can track back and
identify the seats you used and pull them out at the next maintainance
stop for debugging.   You are at a hotel now?  Call the hotel management
and explain the situation.  They should be happy to help you debug all
your belongings, since it is in their best interests to keep you from
bringing bugs into the hotel.

Also, when you get home, immediately put every single piece of clothing
you brought with you (Including the clothes on your back when you walk
in the door) through the washer and dryer on the hottest setting
available.    Anything it is not practical to launder this way should be
exposed to sustained high heat and/or toxic chemicals.  Don't forget to
do this to the suitcase, shoes, and your laptop and bag.    Also a long
hot shower with lots of soap and scrubbing.  While bedbugs feed on warm
blooded mammals, they tend to leave their walking meal as soon as they
are done, so you are unlikely to find one on your body.

Anything that cannot be immediately decontaminated should be bagged in
plastic and the bags tightly sealed while waiting for treatment.   There
are a number of websites out there with good information on eradicating
bedbugs.  The most reliable method is heat for longer than
15 or so minutes, exactly as found in the hottest drying cycle of a
laundry drying machine.

Things that are not going to react well to going through the dryer, but
have ventilation slots that they could crawl inside though, wrap them in
a black plastic bag that is well sealed, and leave it someplace in the
bright sun for a couple hours on a hot summer day.   it needs to attain
the lethal internal temperature needed to kill the bugs.

While bedbugs do not normally carry diseases, you may want to take a
couple photos of the bite marks and show them to your doctor.  Bedbug
bites are typically in sets of three in a line, if they are not mostly
like that, may be something else.

   --Dale