[SML] more theatre design thoughts...

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:57:48 UTC 2015

> While I've had to deal with many odd school performance spaces, if the
> space is sufficiently bad to detract from the students'
> appreciation/interest in the arts, there are larger problems with the
> program that cannot likely be addressed by a better/newer facility.
>
> --
> [Greg Bennett]

I have trouble imagining that a program change will overcome
unintelligible speech, dry music, poor sight lines, and dim, flat
visuals.  Students participating is a different issue but for the
majority of students whose only exposure to live performing arts in a
rural community, it seems pretty detrimental.

At the end of the day, it's about performing artists telling a story
through word, music, and movement to an audience and seeing and
hearing are essential to that communication.  All the loading docks,
wing space, systems and equipment, and so on can't counter a bad
auditorium and stage relationship.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC