[SML] polystyrene decoration on fire again

Alex French flaggday at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:54:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Chip Wood via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Is it just me getting old or the lack of ashtrays in this "No Smoking"
> inside era, but nobody seems to use ashtrays anymore?  Just flick it and
let
> Mother Nature or someone else take care of it.

I think it's just you.  Or differences across regions of the country, or
even specific cities and towns.

In that parts of New England I've spent time in (VT, Boston area, NH), I
think people are *much* more respectful than they were a few decades ago.

When I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, a small downtown area would have a lot
of cigarette butts on the sidewalks.  Sometimes right next to the butt
receptacles.

Today, I rarely notice cigarette butt litter.  There may be fewer
receptacles, but there seem to be plenty of them in densely packed retail
areas or outside big box stores.  The comparatively few smokers seem to be
considerate and use them.

The one place I still notice smokers littering- maybe just because it
really stands out when it happens- is the occasional butt thrown out of a
car window on an Interstate highway, usually clearly still burning.  Maybe
it's motivated by the same behavioral changes that fuel poor driving
behavior, being a few levels more removed from others than when you're
walking down a city street.

Alex French