[SML] Glazing of Control Booths

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Jul 29 15:58:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Stephen Rees via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Has anyone ever heard of the new construction of large, unglazed window
> openings for Lighting/Sound/SM booths that open directly onto the audience
> seating area?  Is there a precedent for such?  It seems counter intuitive to
> me that such a space with $$ worth of gear would not have glazing to serve
> as a deterrent to unauthorized access at the very least not to mention
> having to listen to board op/sm communications regardless of how quietly
> spoken into an intercom system.
> Curious.

Not as a "trend," per se, but I have been in many spaces where it was
either designed as an open mezzanine, or the glazing was
"value-engineered" out.  Recently I had a contractor ask what "those
are" (pointing to our windowed control booth, and our glassed-in
followspot booth above it) and I told him, and he responded, "Don't
you have a problem with reflections?"

Our control booth has a slider at each end, but the only thing I don't
like about our windows is the constant "klunking" as the plates of
glass rattle in the tracks as air pressure fluctuates when the lobby
doors open and close. VERY annoying.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com