[SML] Networking - light board and sound board on same WAP?

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:28:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:10 PM, NODEraser via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I would argue that any control or "mission critical" network shouldn't
> be connected to the Internet. But, that's just me.

They shouldn't. But sometimes you need internet connectivity, for running
updates or to allow remote access to tech support.

The solution I used for my recently completed Brazil project (pics coming
soon!) was a mid-range Cisco router (Cisco 1921, for those that care. A
small enterprise-level router.) I chose it because it's scriptable - I can
write scripts to automatically modify the configuration, without the need
for having someone step through and manually make changes (via command-line
or web browser).

In my case, I have all the "show critical" equipment on completely isolated
VLANs. If I want to temporarily give internet access, I (or whoever I'm
talking to) double-clicks the "Give Internet Access" icon. Once we're done,
we click the "Disable Internet Access" icon.

I've mentally batted around the idea of making/selling a little keyswitch
box (using Arduino or similar) that could be located in a control booth,
would make it easy for staff to enable/disable access. It does requires the
venue to have an appropriate network setup.

--
Michael Sauder
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com
Web: www.shownet.io