[SML] Audio levels

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 23:49:28 UTC 2015

Dear Andrew,
A couple samples of the many clauses in my contract are similar to this,
but more comprehensive, with much more legalize:

"FORCE MAJURE. Any Act of God or Government entity modifying or restricting
the use of the theatre or any portion or equipment thereof, shall not
constitute a breach of this contract. All rental payments shall be due and
payable in a timely manner, as agreed, despite any closure order by any
level of government or as a reaction to any anticipated or realized
terrorist act or private or public transportation disruption that may
influence the attendance by audience members. Tenant assumes all risks,
known or unknown, for any and all unanticipated events that may effect
tenants ability to recover rent paid or receipt of Box Office funds,
including taxes, insurance, and/or maintenance."

"Tenant shall at all times remain responsible for compliance with Laws and
Regulations promulgated by levels of Government having competent
jurisdiction, and shall indemnify and hold harmless the landlord, including
all his agents and assigns, from any loss occasioned by tenants,
subtenants, contractors, subcontractors, employees, or agents of tenant
occupying any portion of the premise or open Private or Public areas
adjacent to the premise due to any Act of God or Government Entity,
including any fines that my be leveled by an Government entity, or penalty
by any Guild or Union. Tenant accepts that his total Financial Obligation
may greatly exceed the rental price of the theatre."

/s/ Richard
_________

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Depends who you're talking to:
>
> Rental house: I think a "yes, until you hit the dB maximum listed in the
> venue rental contract."
>
> As a presenter, you can say "we will hire your show/concert, and give you
> authority to mix how you like, until the point of damaging our equipment,
> annoying our neighbours, damaging our audience and staff hearing, or
> exceeding the maximum dB value listed here (xxx)"
>
> Andrew M. Riter
> Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician
>
> 604-822-2372
> Andrew.riter at ubc.ca
> >
> > I just received a rider where they specify that "Sound control and level
> is at
> > the Company's discretion, but every reasonable effort will be made to
> > accommodate Presenter's request."
> >
> > My answer to this was a polite "hell no."  My venue, my gear, my
> audience.  I
> > get the final say on audio levels.
> >
> > Is this a common request on riders?  I don't get many road shows, and it
> > hasn't cropped up on the few that have been through here.  Does anyone
> > one else give up complete control of their sound system to the show?

/s/ Richard
_________