[SML] High Output UV Sources?

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri Jun 5 06:09:05 UTC 2015

We have the altman units in rental inventory and they have been very
reliable.  They only cross my repair bench after they have been dropped
hard or when someone screws up a replacement bulb and burns the sockets.
    They do get quite warm in operation, same as other stage lights.
Not dimmable, and they do take a minute or so after powering on to get
to full intensity.  The internal cooling fan is very quiet, and is
inaudible a couple of feet away.

    As for appropriateness for your application, hard to say, as it
depends on the ambient visible light levels on stage, and the
reactiveness of your florescent materials, and what the effect you are
going for.  I'd see what your local rental house has available and ask
them if you can try one out with test swatches from the costumes.
Ideally you will have your costume and lighting designers there to
figure out the best combination of costume and fixtures.  Also if your
costume shop doesn't have a UV fixture available to test all costumes
for unintended flourescent effects, they should be provided with one.

    --Dale