[SML] System Design/Specification Question

Rob Graham photonguide at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:48:17 UTC 2015

Sorry for the longish post asking questions that probably need 'on
site' professional answers, but here goes:

We are in the very early stages of re-designing our sound system.
We'd like to use as much of the extant infrastructure as possible -
mic inputs, speaker outputs that are on stage and in the pit as
possible.  However, we would also like to be able to move the sound
board (Yamaha LS9-32) into the house to mix a live show without
needing to drop huge snakes, and/or carry the wireless racks
(currently portable) down to the house.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it, and we could utilize the LS9's
digital capability to the maximum.  Not being a full time sound guy,
but knowing enough to get by, I'm thinking theres a way to do this.

Bring the 16 on stage/pit mic inputs into the booth (extant
infrastructure), but instead of bringing them into the board
physically - bring them to some intermediate interface that converts
them to a digital network (Aviom? Dante?), while at the same time
creating a portable setup for our mic receivers (max 24) that could be
plugged in backstage (keeping the receivers nearer to the
transmitters).  The idea being that we only need to move the board,
and perhaps a few cat 5 lines down to the board (maybe a permanent
port or three in the house?) to mix a musical.

What parts MIGHT one use, knowing the LS9 is part of our inventory?
Any advice is appreciated.  We're in the early stages of
thinking/design - but we'd like to have an idea about what we need
before we start asking for money.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Graham
photonguide at gmail.com