[SML] Clock/timer for back of audience

Alf Sauve' alf at sauve.org
Fri Jun 12 21:55:14 UTC 2015

I have been through this exercise several times in the past few years.

If you want 4 digit clock/counter then there are a number of options.
If you want 6 digits then things get rather pricy.  I don't know why
since practically all analog clocks have second hands, but for digital
ones it evident adds up.

I bought a couple of cheap (<$50) Chinese import, 6 digits ones for the
control rooms.  They're okay, but after 4 years one has lost a whole
line of pixels.  That and they don't keep good time.  I have to reset
every month.

For a rear-of-house, time-of-day, I bought a Big Time Clock red 4" LED 4
digit one and it has worked very well.  Has not need resetting since I
put it up about 6 months ago.  Easy to read from 90 feet away.

For our main venue, management want White LEDs.  I went to BRG
Precision.  Got a 4" high, 4 Digit LED precision clock.  Came set to our
time zone and correct time.  US made.  It has so many functions I'm
almost afraid to even go into the menu.  Comes with a remote so you
don't have to take it off the wall. Expensive?  Sure, but highly
recommended product and company.  You can pay for the precision level
you want.

http://www.brgprecision.com/products/stand_alone_clocks/precision.php

On the very, very high end they're accurate up to 0.0012 seconds per
year.    I don't even know how you'd reset it if NBS did one of the
"adjustments".

I opted for just level two accuracy.  1 minute / year.