[SML] DMX through an E-stop button

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:29:18 UTC 2015

Has anyone ever run a DMX feed through an E-Stop button? (One of those big
red buttons mounted on machinery and such).

And/Or through a relay? (I have both solid state and mechanical available).

I posted before about a special effect I'm doing for a project in Brazil
(I'm finally here! Been here for 3.5 weeks so far, expect to open around
July 4th barring any unforeseen problems), in which we have 40kW of heat
lamps running off a 12-pack of dimmers.

If anything happens to the DMX feed or show control system, we would like
to ensure the heat lamps go off. The best way, presumably, would be
something that cuts off power to the whole rack, but that would be more
complicated and expensive.

The way I'm tentatively looking at is to set the dimmer packs to go to zero
on loss of signal. The e-stop button or relay would be a way of forcing
loss of signal, even if the DMX source is still online but the system is in
some undesirable state.

Any experience with this?

Thanks!
Michael S.