[SML] Dimming 24v load

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 16 22:23:27 UTC 2015

Dimming low voltage loads can be tricky. The obvious method, of
interposing a transformer between the dimmed mains supply and the load
is fraught with dangers. Thyristor dimmers do not take kindly to
inductive loads, and electronic transformers may not take kindly to
the outputs of thyristor dimmers. Some will, ant they are probably the
best answer. I cannot advise you on brands, but I have a whole heap of
24V birdies which run happily through electronic transformers from
thyristor dimmers.

On 16 June 2015 at 22:35, Lyric Opera Kansas City via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a question.  I am looking at the following product:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/The-Light-Garden-WLWB96-Incandescent/dp/B00263FQM6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01TT18GC5PJ87Q57FMGT
>
> It states that each light is a 24v incandescent light.  When I have
> used low voltage products in the past such as LED tape, I was able to
> use a DMX Decoder and LED power supply to make the tape dim and color
> mix if it was RGB.  Could I use a DM Decoder and a 24v power supply to
> make these guys dim?  Thoughts?  Advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate

Frank Wood