[SML] Dimming 24v load

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Wed Jun 17 05:49:47 UTC 2015

On 6/16/2015 6:23 PM, e-mail frank.wood95 via Stagecraft wrote:
> Dimming low voltage loads can be tricky. The obvious method, of
> interposing a transformer between the dimmed mains supply and the load
> is fraught with dangers. Thyristor dimmers do not take kindly to
> inductive loads, and electronic transformers may not take kindly to
> the outputs of thyristor dimmers. Some will, ant they are probably the
> best answer. I cannot advise you on brands, but I have a whole heap of
> 24V birdies which run happily through electronic transformers from
> thyristor dimmers.

We have had good luck with using 24 volt Buck/Boost transformers like
these, http://www.grainger.com/product/SQUARE-D-Buck-Boost-Trans-1H271.
On Sensor dimmers with loads of 12 and 24 volt incandescent lamps.   We
did once have a set of these burn up on Leprecon dimmers, I suspect
there was a filament warming setting, leaking a very low current at all
times, and they didn't like it one bit, but we have had years of
flawless installed operation with these on ETC dimming.

Stuart