[SML] Focus work cart

June Abernathy JEA00321 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 04:19:10 UTC 2015

The one we use on The Lion King is basically a half size workbox. Counter height, 2’ deep, 4’ wide, on casters, two doors on the 4’ front. One side is 2’ wide drawers of various depth, the other side is one deep drawer (about file size) on the bottom and a cubby above. We have a power strip mounted on the exterior of the box on one short end, (although you could always put it inside in the cubby). The only real custom feature is the top. We have added extra panels on the top that piano hinge down the long side of the box and fold to meet at center. So, closed, you have a 2’ X 4’ box top, which fits through any door. If you flip open one half, it folds out flat to extend the top a foot, making your box 3’ wide. Flip open both sides, and you have a 4’ X 4’ table. We have mounted the show magic sheets under plexi on these exposed surfaces, so they are available when you are working at the table. Plexi and paperwork are hidden away when the top is folded up. There is a ropelight in a groove under the plexi around the perimeter of the non-folding top, which seldom actually gets used. YMMV

June Abernathy
IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
FOH Electrician
The Lion King National Tour