[SML] wire colors

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:33:14 UTC 2015

AND a PVC conduit buried in a concrete deck is a NO better ground than a
steel conduit which has its continuity interrupted by a nonmetallic seismic
gasket, when there are no grounding conductors that restore the
lost continuity. Large waterproof flex conduit is often not utilized in
earthquake country where it would pass solid grounding to the load being
powered and workers being protected. We have entire buildings, including
our 27+ story 100 million pound Los Angeles City Hall, which sits on huge
ball bearings riding on deformed steel plates that are supposedly
self-centering, after rolling about four feet. Copper braided straps may or
may not be sufficient in a catastrophic earthquake.
/s/ Richard

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Alex Donkle via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Code still allows steel conduit to be used as a ground, however if it
> was power inside of floor boxes then they likely used PVC conduit
> routed underground.
>
> Alex

> is
> >>
> >> Well, yes and no.  The result of his design was a 4-pin connector,
> >> with 3 3-Ø hot conductors, and one neutral shared among them.  The
> >> "consultant" said to me, word-for-word, "Ground and neutral are the
> >> same thing."  We did find that the metal cover of the floor pocket was
> >> mechanically grounded back to the distro panel via the conduit, which
> >> helped somewhat when exhibitors had modern electronic gear like sound
> >> systems or computers.
> >
> > Ah, yes. I should have realized that it would be 3 phase.
> >
> > Doesn't the code allow conduit to be used as the grounding conductor? I
> would
> > never specify such a set-up, but have seen it used.
> >
> > Bill

/s/ Richard
_________