[SML] OT : Hanging Flat Screen TV

Chip Wood chip.a.wood at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:37:03 UTC 2015

Over 1/2 century ago, when 1" t/g pine existed, 2X4's were actually
close to that size, and studs on 16" centers was the standard, I would
have no problems w/that advice. Modern standards are probably knotty
pine-looking paper over 1/8" panels of ?, over 1" nailing boards on
24-48" centers.  On which I wouldn't hang a pic of my MIL.   When was
the wall put in?  Flat screens ARE heavy, esp cantilevered, and
expensive to replace. Unless sure, I wouldn't experiment.  Lean on the
bracket, if it gives just a little, find another wall.   Side lighting
is good advise, you should see the nail dimples easily.

Chip 1