[SML] Mapping/Cropping projection to flats/other

Davin Gaddy davin at techie.com
Mon Mar 2 04:58:49 UTC 2015

I second the Isadora option.  First of all, they have both Windows and Mac versions of the program (though better performance on the Mac when using CI and CA).  There is a bit of a learning curve as it is like programming a show in visual basic.  It seems as if your imagination is the limit of the program, so you will be able to grow with it.

Qlab will be a much quicker learn and has better rental options.  It is a Mac based program only.

Video Projection Tools is a free program that works for either platform, but is a bit clunky in my opinion (you get what you pay for).

I like the Mad Mapper option previously mentioned, but I think it might be a bit overkill for what you seem to be asking for.

Don't forget that even though you are mapping to multiple surfaces, the projector itself is only able to focus on a single plane.  Make sure to take that into account in your design.  Also, make sure that you know just how many lumens you essentially lose with such a large image.  In all, I am sure that it will be a good experience.

~Davin

"I have a project to project images to various areas on the stage. One
 projector. I want to map/crop to an object here, the CYC over there, etc...
 Various images to various locations. Cueing will be fairly straight
 forward, in order so a single cue list works. I've even thought about
 PowerPoint or Keynote with masks and/or cropping.

Options? Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks, Scott"