[SML] ACT (SF) is closing their Shops...

Will Leonard wleonard at alleytheatre.org
Thu Mar 5 22:52:30 UTC 2015

Got this today:

- Will Leonard
Asst. Technical Director
Alley Theatre
O: 713-315-5449
C: 713-252-9809

Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:41 PM
Subject: ACT (SF) Scene Shop to Close!

Dear Fellow Props Artisans &  Managers;

We were informed yesterday that the ACT, (San Francisco),  scene and paint shops will be closing at the end of June. We have two more shows to build before approximately twelve very talented and dedicated theatre artists are let go.  Our management says they cannot find the funding or locations that will allow ACT to maintain those shops. Their plan is to have the sets built and painted by the lowest bidder- be it locally, east coast, or in Canada.

They are "keeping" the Prop Shop, though it will now be a shop of one, the current Props Supervisor, (best boss in the world) Ryan P.  with no assistant or intern.  The stock will be drastically reduced by at least 50% in all areas.  We've been told they want to find a 2000+ sq ft shop space for a prop work space and larger prop storage.  That hunt I hear is just beginning.

For all of you who love theatre, building,  collaborating, being a part of a process; that's not happening so much anymore out here.  ACT is just one of a number of long running, community-entrenched live theaters that are slowly fading away.

Hope I can make it to the convention in DC this year; it's a great town.

So, my contact email is changing to:  jay.lasnik at yahoo.com

and, it goes without saying but if anyone needs anything built; props,  costume crafts, etc. out here or out where you are...

"have hot glue gun- will travel"

Jay
ACT Props Assistant ('till June 30)

So, that just happened. Another one bites the dust.