[SML] Portable lift in trap room?

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sat Mar 7 03:34:15 UTC 2015

On 3/6/2015 3:03 PM, Tom Marhenke via Stagecraft wrote:
> Curious how others have solved this problem, new building with lots of
> beautiful features including a 20’ x 20’ trap room. The height from
> trap floor to stage deck is about 14’-0”. Trying to figure out an OSHA
> approved lift that is somewhat portable, portable in that it can be
> moved around the trap room and bolted to the floor. Physical Plant
> wants minimal holes in floor and would like a plot so holes can be
> reused. There is some money in the budget. Thoughts?
>     Thanks,
>
>     Tom Marhenke
>     Technical Director, Theatre
>     Hamilton College
>     315-859-4869
>     Tmarhenk at hamilton.edu

   I would think that the controlling feature is the trap opening(s)
themselves.    Or is the entire stage deck above the trap room something
that you will cut holes in as needed and replace the deck when you don't
need the holes anymore?

  Does it have to be bolted to the floor or can it be held down by a
sufficient application of gravity glue to keep it from moving around  by
anything short of a major earthquake?   Or is there some kind of
critical alignment issue to line it up with the trap openings?   Does
the lift need to be people rated, or just for equipment and scenery?
(Substantial increase in costs for people rated lifts. )   How big a
lift in square footage of lift surface, weight capacity, speed and
controllability for intermediate stops? Powered by what? (electricity,
pneumatic, hydraulic, or muscles) And, of course, what's your budget?

    Answering these questions, along with the needs assessment of your
various features  (Is it mandatory, highly desirable, desirable, nice to
have, don't care,  undesirable, or absolutely not?)  should clarify your
thinking.

--Dale