[SML] XLR mic cables: Pin 1 to case/ground... yes? no?

tech dept tech.dept at inbox.com
Wed Mar 11 02:31:25 UTC 2015

In my world pin 1 grounded, on cables unless they are 1/4" adapters, is a firm NO. It will be a sanity breaker.
I learned that early on from comm beltpacks hung on improperly trimmed Super Troupers where the copper sheath on the rods has melted down and shorted to the chassis and fried the comm master pack 10 ohm resistor from ground to case, to the errant hum/buzz where the shell of an extension (with pin 1 to shell tied together) cable touched a Genie, Vermette lift, or outdoor stage superstructure.
In My book the word is "DON'T" (do it) and test all the cables you borrow. Just open them up and clip out the jumper. Also, I drop a little contact cement on the screws to keep them from backing out. The smallest of drops will do and with minimal force break loose for repairs.
It sounds like you bought the Beh------ unit. Well, I did and it is holding up well.