[SML] XLR mic cables: Pin 1 to case/ground... yes? no?

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 12 19:28:24 UTC 2015

Thank you for posting a link to a very informative paper. It contains
much good advice.

When our theatre designed a new sound system, many years ago, we had
to consider these problems. When I say designed, I mean right down to
component level. We were an amateur theatre, with limited funds, but,
being in West London, drew heavily on the BBC for technical staff,
and, occasionally, for resources. I was one of the design team.

We should have liked to follow BBC practice, but proper output
transformers are very costly if you want a fully balanced system, so
we had to compromise. We declared a policy that ALL inputs were
transformer-balanced, but that outputs were not, although they were
wired as though they were. This worked for us, even in the high
electrical noise environment of our theatre, and was only replaced
because there were too few channels.

Frank Wood