[SML] flame testing

David R. Krajec drkrajec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 01:31:17 UTC 2015

Here's a new one.  I got a call from a customer that said that the fire
inspector was asking question regarding the flame treating of their scenery.
Apparently, the local community theatre was renting the space and they made
rocks from Styrofoam and paper mache.  The "rocks" were painted using scenic
paint and Rosco flamex.  According to the customer, when the fire inspector
tested the flame retardancy, he said that the flamex seemed to "accelerate"
the flame.  He was using a Bic lighter to test the material.  He cited NFPA
289 - Method of Fire Test for Individual Fuel Packages.  The problem with
this (from what I understand) is that 289 is for laboratory testing.
Hmmm.  Seems like someone does too much reading, but apparently not for
content.

Also, he told them that their scenic platforms should be made with 2X6 and
joist hangers.  Really?

This isn't the first time this has popped up.  Anybody else hitting this
headache?

David R. Krajec