[SML] Help?! Using Unistrut as traveler track, need rollers

Alex French flaggday at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 02:46:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 2:58 AM, Harold J Hotchkiss via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Folks I find myself in a bit of a bind and I'm hoping someone can help.
> We're gearing up for a production of "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" at the
> high school I'm working at this year and part of the scene design calls for
> several drops to slide along a piece of Unistrut using trolley rollers like
> these ( http://www.unistrut.us/index.php?WP=show&GRP=Trolley ).

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I bring this up every
chance I get-

The Tech Brief Collection volume 2
(http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Design-Solutions-Theatre-Collection/dp/0240804929#reader_0240804929)
includes a design for a unistrut carrier made from UHMW.

The first page of that section (page 92) is viewable via Amazon's
"Look Inside" feature.

I've used these quite successfully in some applications where a small
number of carriers were supporting a rigid set piece, but I'm not sure
how they would work en masse replacing many wheeled carriers.

I made a variant a little different from the picture on page 92,
instead of the vertical plate I tapped a hole vertically into the main
body.  If you do something like this some sort of lock washer would be
helpful, we had some loosening due to vibration,but I'm not sure what
would interface best with the UHMW.

Alex French