[SML] granulated cork

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Tue Mar 17 19:27:36 UTC 2015

Maryland cork was able to tell me how many pounds to the cubic foot there
were for the grind size we wanted to use for a production last year.  They
may not advertise that spec as it might vary a bit seasonally depending on
the source of their current cork supply.  We bought a 20/40 grind which at
that time was about 7-8 lbs per cubic foot.  The cork held up well, was
dustier than we expected, and much easier to load in and out than the sand
which was the alternative (500 lbs vs 6,000 lbs)  The delivered cost for the
cork was not that much greater than the sand would have been but YMMV

Duncan Mahoney
Director of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts