[SML] Lighting in the heat of an Iowa Summer

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri Mar 20 02:14:04 UTC 2015

On 3/19/2015 3:46 PM, Lyric Opera Kansas City via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a couple of questions, but first let me give you a brief idea
> of what is going on.  This summer, the Des Moines Metro Opera will be
> staging Rapaccinni's Daughter outside in the Des Moines Botanical
> Gardens.  It is a pretty grand area and I am looking forward to
> lighting it.  A big initiative of the Botanical Gardens was to be
> (pardon the pun) as green and energy efficient as possible.  So...with
> that idea in mind, I have started thinking about LED lighting. So...
>
> 1.  How does everyone think LED instruments would hold up outdoors in
> an Iowa summer with the heat and humidity?  I obviously know that
> these units would not stand up to the rain without proper protection.
> In outdoor experiences, units have been bagged after the show and
> unbagged before the next.  I am not sure that would be adequate for
> LED units and even if it was, would the gear hold up the the heat
> during the day?
>
> 2.  Regardless of whether we are able to use LEDs or not, does anyone
> know of any lighting rental houses near Des Moines that aren't the
> ones I already know (CLE, Sound Concepts, TMS)?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Nate Wheatley

     I won't speak to LED fixtures, other than that you should get
weatherproof versions if they are available at all.  I will speak to the
common problems I see with lighting gear used in outdoor venues.    We
rent gear to an assortment of outdoor productions by my employer.  The
main problem we have is salt deposition and subsequent corrosion from
the seaside venues.  This should not be an issue in Iowa.
     Another problem is that no matter what precautions you make with
bagging fixtures and rigging rain shields, inevitably water will seep or
be blown into fixtures that are not designed for outdoor operation.
This water is loaded with assorted contaminants it has picked up along
the way, and plays merry hell with electronics, bulbs and lenses.   Plan
on having to extensively overhaul fixtures if they have been outdoors
for a longish time.    Schedule times where you can go up and do lens
cleanings and inspection every week or so.   Have spares available.

   Squirrels will use your lovely overhead infrastructure as a highway,
nesting place, lunchroom and latrine.   Pay particular attention to the
chain bags on chain motors, and anyplace you have a squirrel sized flat
spot that is somewhat sheltered from flying predators.   They will also
nibble on cables more if they do not have enough natural or
human-provided food.   Anything they don't crap on, the birds will.  If
you are real lucky, a raptor will take up residence and drive away the
squirrels and pigeons.  Prepare to add a preshow check for half-eaten
carcasses in your rig if this happens.

    Any cables laying on the ground, and your dimmerland and control
positions, will be vulnerable to and attract mouse and rat infestations.
They nest inside of dimmer cabinets, cable coils, under platforms and in
patchbays.  Not only do they pee and poop everywhere, they chew on
everything softer than steel.     NO FOOD to be left unattended except
in sealed metal containers.  Any spilled food or drinks must be cleaned
up and sprayed with something that will render the residue unattractive
to vermin.   Find out if the park has an exterminator/pest control
contractor and work with them to make your installation less welcoming
to vermin.   Also watch out for winged vermin such as pigeons and gulls.

   Mud.  When it rains, mud will be tracked everywhere, and seep into
anything laying on the ground, especially if there is heavy power in the
connector.  Mud is an extremely variable semiconducter.  Have quick and
easy access to some sheets of cheap used plywood and bags of wood chips
or bark mulch to pour onto muddy spots that you then toss the plywood
down upon.   4x4 foot squares seem to be the best compromise between
coverage and ease of application.  Have a few 2x4 rectangles for
narrower paths.

   Hope you have fun and play safe.

    --Dale