[SML] Foam use on stage

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Wed Mar 25 14:01:58 UTC 2015

In light of our recent conversations, and as a result of research for another project, I came across a product (Smooth-On FlexFoam-iT!® 7FR) that is a two-part urethane foam that is inherently flame retardant.  They post online the results of a flame retardancy test and the standard that it meets.  Whether that meets the requirements of a particular AHJ remains to be seen.

This would be cast or poured over an armature rather than come in sheets for forming so it's not exactly the same as the ubiquitous blue foam but could still be useful if you're facing not being able to use foam at all.  Also, it ain't cheap.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Department