[SML] Custom makeup case with low voltage lights

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 04:01:49 UTC 2015

1st, I will say that my efforts to post from my normal e-mail, with which I have my stagecraft subscription has not worked in a long time. I don't know the reason, but the message just never show up on the list.  So, I use a temporary yahoo account for when I need to talk to the list.
============
A number of things have prompted me to design a custom makeup case for myself;
  1) I am at the age where I need reading glasses, and therefore a magnifying makeup mirror.
  2) A standard portable makeup mirror's light is too close to the mirror for me, and tend to induce glair. The lights in the make-up room are situated about 45deg above me, and those are fine.
  3) The dressing room is normally extremely crowded, so, you often need to rush to finish your makeup, to allow the next actor to use that spot. So, a battery-powered light source on my makeup case would allow me to work elsewhere.
  4) Existing commercial versions tend to be very expensive, and omit the magnifying mirror.
  5) Probably the biggest factor, is that I am hunting for something in which to invest my creative efforts.

I am picturing a case made from an old briefcase.  Glue a magnifying mirror to the lid, and add some battery powered lights. Since table place is also limited, I will probably also add legs. The lighting would ideally be battery powered, with provision to plug in an adapter.  It will be on a frame that can fold up above the opened lid.

The main difficulty I have come across is that the under-cabinet lighting I had hoped to use, tends to all be LEDs. The incandescent versions are almost nonexistent.  The low cost LED versions tend to look blue-ish, and omit the CRI (Color Rendering Index) that would tell me how accurate the lighting would be in comparison to the stage lighting.  LED's are attractive since they would be more efficient for battery power, but I imagine a 12v halogen system is also viable.

I have seen some relatively affordable LED strips that are considered a warm white color.  But, they omit the CRI number. Does anyone here know if these types of LED light sources tend to have a good spectrum spread?  Any other lighting suggestions?

Also, in regards to the legs, I vaguely recall seeing a movie where a street salesman had a briefcase that had folding legs. But, I can't recall the movie, or find any pictures of anything like that.  Anyone else recall that?

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12 at yahoo.com