[SML] tourist stuff in London, Cornwall, and Venice

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 26 23:52:23 UTC 2015

As a London resident of some fifty years, I'ld love to help. But,
paradoxically, I know little of tourist London.

Theatre-wise, I suggest that you try to get out to the Questors
Theatre in Ealing, where I have worked for many years. It is one of
the earliest Tyrone Guthrie style theatres, having opened in 1964. Had
In not have been going to France, I should have suggester that we met
there, and I would have taken you on a tour. The same goes for the
beer.

Venice is Venice. The biggest problem there is finding a good
restaurant. I haven't been for some years, but they were in short
supply. The best one I know (knew) was called La Donna Honesta, but it
is hard to find. Get off the Vaporetto at Academia, and walk straight
away from the pier. Wlen you can turn left and walk intil you meet a
small canal. Turn right and walk along its banl until you find a
bridge, and the restaurant is at the opposide of the canal. There is
another slightly down the canal from the Rialto bridge.

In Cornwall, you should take in the Minack Theatre, a few miles from
Penzance on the coast. This is an open-air theatre on the cliffs above
Porthcurno. It receives all sorts of visiting companies, and I have
twice lit shows there in the past. I gather that the facilities have
been improved since last I was there.

On 26 March 2015 at 19:25, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Heading (far) east in August, for 3 weeks in London, Cornwall, and a long
> weekend to Venice.
>

> I'd like to know what might be interesting and unique to see in those areas.
> The wife is an old hand in London, and was there 3 years ago.  What else
> might one want to see?
>

> Which theatres offer the best tours?
>

> What's good in Venice?
>

> And of course, Cornwall.  Any thoughts of unique touristy things?  We're
> renting a car (god help me shifting left handed).
>

> Many thanks.  Who's maybe up for a pint or three?
>

> Andrew M. Riter
>
> Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician
>

> Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
>
> 6265 Crescent Road
>
> Vancouver, BC
>
> V6T 1Z1