[SML] The Snow Queen - Russian Stack Doll

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Sat May 2 01:12:38 UTC 2015

ani via Stagecraft wrote:
> If you don't need them to (faithfully) split at the waist, you can do
> a series of lightweight fabric ones on PVC frames similar to the
> below:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MDWcZXDJMXo/T8gBODpJvqI/AAAAAAAAAxY/qPnLYVBNmUk/s1600/matryoshka_costume.jpg
>
> It's a very popular Matryshka costume construction method in Russian
> folk dancing troupes...

I swear I've seen a YouTube video of a show that used fabric half-globes
- constructed something like round paper lanterns with the fabric
stretched over ribbing - as costumes. I seem to recall that they even
opened at the "equator" for the actors to climb in and out.

Something like this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-56772705332393/3-quot-white-chinese-japanese-mini-paper-lanterns-10-4.gif

My Google-fu is failing me, but it seems like an option that would be
relatively cheap to prototype - and if it worked, would have the added
benefit of allowing the actor who climbed inside to breathe...

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org