[SML] PayPal

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Tue May 5 23:10:50 UTC 2015

Obligatory IANAL.

To my knowledge, this is standard language. Basically, it gives Paypal
permission to use content that you post. That might be a review of a
service, or their new Facebook clone (I have no knowledge of such a new
feature, but everyone wants to do it, so...).

If you post it to Paypal (or Facebook, or Twitter, or indeed this very
Stagecraft Mailing List), you are agreeing that that company is allowed to
use the content. If you DON'T make that agreement, then those companies are
not allowed to use the content. In the case of the SML, that means that you
could send emails to the SML server, but the SML server would not be
permitted to pass your message on to everyone else on the mailing list.
Which of course makes the mailing list useless.

If you post any information anywhere on a public website, chances are very
VERY good that you no longer own exclusive rights to that content. The only
way to retain exclusive rights is to host content on your own website.

Michael S.

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

>  The upcoming (July 1) change to the PayPal terms of service was just
> pointed out to me, specifically about giving them all rights to anything
> you publish or post using their "services".  Quote below:
>

> *“When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for
> publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the
> PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable,
> royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any
> and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual
> property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the
> future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you
> waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the
> PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that
> none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your
> provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and
> the PayPal Group’s use of such content (including of works derived from it)
> in connection with the Services.”
> https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full
> <https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full> *
>
> --
> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com
> tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
> Skype:  jerrydurand

Michael Sauder
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com
Web: www.shownet.io