[SML] drops on tour

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Wed May 20 20:37:01 UTC 2015

Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft  wrote:

> What kind of pipe, and how is it held together?  I'm getting annoyed seeing the bumps of my couplers on my bottom pipe.

	I can’t speak for big touring shows, but I CAN tell you how I handled joints in bottom pipe. I always had trouble getting those couplers to thread on right, and - like you - I didn’t like the lumps anyway. so…

	I found EMT (conduit) of a diameter to slide inside the bottom pipe, and cut it into 2’ lengths.  I inserted it half way into one end of each pipe, and wrapped a bit of gaff tape to hold it in place. (I considered drilling and using pop rivets, but I never got around to it.) Just slide that “splint” into the open end of the next pipe, and wrap on some gaff tape to overlap the seam and old the two pieces together. (I always leave a “flag” on the end of the tape for easy removal.)

	The concept is similar to the internal splice in the pipe battens. The pipe slides in and out easier without the friction of those threaded couplers, and … no more lumps!

	Note: I first tried this with wooden dowels, but they sometimes broke when the joints wanted to bend. Metal conduit worked much better.

	I hope this helps.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy