[SML] Automated linesets

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Thu May 28 17:05:51 UTC 2015

On 5/28/2015 3:04 AM, Ben Thoron SML via Stagecraft wrote:
> I am interested in hearing from folks with permanently installed
> mechanized line sets.
>
> I'm curious about usability, speed/capacity, and ease of adaption. I'd
> also be interested in the software/ cuing effectiveness under show
> conditions.

I think the length of  the run, the tightness of the tech schedule, and
the size and quality of the talent pool, combined with budget are the
biggest factors.

On cruise ships, the rigging is largely automated,  the shows run for
years, the budgets are big, the tech is comparatively long, and the pool
of operators can be highly variable.  And the shows are designed
specifically for that sort of set-up.  Typical Large ship install that I
see is about 8-12 flying battens, some are box truss some are flat or
skinny triangles,  about 10 travellers, 2-3 roll drums, 3 fixed, full
stage  lighting catwalks (stable, but space eaters)  and 1-2 Austrian
curtains out front.   Getting enough scenery for 2-3 shows in rep can be
a serious challenge.

  If you do short runs, one nighters, quick tech periods, and have a
pool of skilled operators, then use automation only where and when it
actually solves a problem.

Stuart