[SML] Automated linesets

Ben Thoron SML bthoronsml at gmail.com
Sun May 31 16:00:11 UTC 2015

Thanks for all the responses.
Bill, what got installed at the Alley?  What are the specs?  Speed,
capacity?  are these the stage tech and Navigator systems?
8" centers is what I'm used to.  It does seem to limit the ability to kick
a line set a few inches..
Dave Vick, there is something so simple and responsive as a stagehand
bringing in a line set, it's hard to imagine replacing that human touch and
the simplicity of asking the rail, can I have line set 3 at head high?  But
I can clearly picture the automation operator asking me "do you want that
at 60 " or 72"?"  Then hearing... "Oh wait, the computer just went BOD...
Stand by... Restarting.... Ok now what did you want?..."
Stuart, I totally understand your concerns, in our case, we're producing 6
new production in the venue each year with 4-5 week runs, adequate tech
time and a trained crew.
The thought of spending 43  x $50,000 is scary.
Thanks again for the responses,

Ben Thoron
Technical Director
The Old Globe