[SML] Automated linesets

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:11:02 UTC 2015

Basic machines are 2000 pounds 400 fpm - Bigtows on on a Navigator.

I wouldn't worry so much about head height vs digital precision.  Some
lighting designers never got past out-3-5-7-full of piano boards and
did fine in the computer console era.  You look at Cirque and similar,
I wouldn't worry too much about the mission critical aspect of these
systems.

Still, I do like hands on a rope.

Can't find the photo - pre-digital for me - but for those that like
the best of both worlds was a system in a Quebec City theatre with a
"lock rail" with full size ropes rigged to a control for the Gala
Vertilifts.  Kind of the same feel but you held the rope and moving it
up or down moved the set up or down, and the further you moved it from
"center" the faster it would go.  It had a strangely intuitive  feel.
I seem to recall a digital read out of elevation on the rail.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC