[SML] Fake "Hare" for Stoppard's Arcadia

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Mon Nov 2 06:00:08 UTC 2015

I saw another show where the actor came on carrying a bag (tied shut)
which he dropped on the floor, kicked around, etc. while explaining
everything that had just happened to him (off stage).  Towards the end
of his description he mentioned cutting someones head off and kicked the
bag again. Got an audible reaction from most of the audience, I'd say
that gag worked well.

On 11/01/2015 09:47 PM, Pat Kight via Stagecraft wrote:

> When I directed Arcadia in 1999, we solved the problem by using a
> vintage-looking "game bag" something like this:
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/57069120252258078/
>
> stuffed to look like it contained something hare-sized.
>
> As I recall, it was never necessary to see the dead rabbit.
>
> (We were, however, able to borrow an awesome, realistic fake tortoise
> from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, for which I will be forever
> grateful...)

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886