[SML] Fake "Hare" for Stoppard's Arcadia

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Mon Nov 2 06:16:32 UTC 2015

Jerry Durand via Stagecraft wrote:
> I saw another show where the actor came on carrying a bag (tied shut)
> which he dropped on the floor, kicked around, etc. while explaining
> everything that had just happened to him (off stage).  Towards the end
> of his description he mentioned cutting someones head off and kicked the
> bag again. Got an audible reaction from most of the audience, I'd say
> that gag worked well.

Exactly. So much can be done with acting that can't be done half so well
with props, no matter how well crafted.

Perhaps not the best position to espouse on a stagecraft list, but how
much easier would our jobs be if more directors were a bit less ...
literal ... about scripts, and handed the problem to the actors to solve?

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org