[SML] railing height on a temporary platform

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Mon Nov 9 02:40:51 UTC 2015

On 11/8/2015 8:50 PM, Dan Feith via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know that there is a specific height for a railing on a temporary
> platform. Can anyone tell me what it is?
>
> I've got a set with a platform at +8'. The railings are currently 36"
> high. The problem is that when someone is sitting at a desk on the
> platform the railing blocks part of their face.
> We're thinking of lowering the railing to 30" but I think that might be
> too low.
>

> Thanks in advance for your help/advice/answers.
>

> --
> Dan Feith
> Production Manage
> Kentucky Opera
> 203-788-4414 cell

A bit of googling discovered that kentucky has adopted a statewide
building code.  It largely copied the 2006 IBC with amendments.  Specs
on handrails for stairs, but not about railings of platforms.  The IBC
is a document that I wasn't able to find online after a short search. I
suspect it is available for a lot of money from some publishing company.
  Copy should be available for viewing in your city or county library.

Other online resources say that handrails have a range of acceptable
heights, in the 30-40 inches high range.  Railing heights were in some
of them dependent on how tall the drop-off that they are protecting.
This may also be considered a construction site platform, not open to
the general public, and different rules apply.  I suggest you call your
local building inspector's office and solicit their assistance in
finding an answer.  They are the one that are going to be making that
determination if push comes to shove anyway.

Dale