[SML] Aggregate hours for majors?

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 03:54:10 UTC 2015

I work at a small liberal arts college where, not to put too fine of a
point on it, most incoming students intend to become actors.  Our
department has a pretty large number of work study students assigned
to the various shops and even  enhanced work-study positions in Set,
Lighting, Wardrobe and Sound which attach to supervisory and
autonomous work..

We also attach Service Learning hours to many classes, including some
introductory and non-tech theatre classes.  Our goal in this is to
introduce students to a large variety of the ways that students can
participate and to expand their interest in theatre.  Many of our best
students find that they have both interest & talent in some area of
design or technical theatre.  Ironically, these students tend to be
the best actors as well.

Also ironically, we get some of the best work from the
non-actor-non-theatre students.
That said, I taught an intro class last spring that was full of
business students, and I wouldn't trust any of them to bid a job as
Richard believes a newly minted graduate should be able to do, much
less any of our THTR grads (actors or otherwise).

--
Steven J McLean
steve.mclean at simpson.edu
designandtechtheatre.wordpress.com