[SML] Aggregate hours for majors?

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 01:01:10 UTC 2015

Dear John,
It sounds like your institution, among most others, relies upon 'Slave
Labor' to get the work done. This may be a practical approach, but it is
philosophically suspect. Meanwhile, I am finding freshly minted graduates
from most of these same institutions do not have the capacity to bid a job,
whether it is building a Costume, a piece of Scenery, a Prop, or a lighting
the stage for a production. They fail to consider overhead, such as FICA,
FUTA, SDI. Workman's Compensation, or other employment taxes and fees,
occupancy, and such incidentals as ordinary light bulbs, toilet paper,
light and water bills, blades, maintenance of equipment, or other costs of
doing business, We are in Show BUSINESS, NOT Show Talent. With a sound
business basis, Art will be supported and enhanced.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM, John McAfee via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m sitting in my office on the Sunday of load-in with no majors here (no
> students at all, actually) for the second day and so we’re looking at
> requiring all theater majors to do something like 400 hours over the course
> of their undergraduate career.  I am leery about this because I think it
> will mean that I have a lot of grasshoppers in the shop their senior year
> trying to complete 350 hours in a semester.  I’m sure other people have
> done this, what was the success rate?  What was the hour requirement?
>
> Thanks,
> John

/s/ Richard
_________