[SML] railing height on a temporary platform

Paul Schreiner paulschreiner42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:13:24 UTC 2015

> I know that there is a specific height for a railing on a temporary
> platform. Can anyone tell me what it is?
>
> I've got a set with a platform at +8'. The railings are currently 36" high.
> The problem is that when someone is sitting at a desk on the platform the
> railing blocks part of their face.
> We're thinking of lowering the railing to 30" but I think that might be too
> low.

*In my experience* and estimation having dealt with lots of different
institutions dealing with lots of different codes (particularly LSC
vs. OSHA 1920 vs. OSHA 1927 vs. various state standards and local
implementations thereof), there is no easy answer other than "what the
AHJ says is okay".  That being said, given an argument that the stage
is not a public access space and that there is specific training
required (namely, rehearsal) before anyone (the actor and stage
management) uses the platform, that 30" would in almost all instances
be acceptable.  If you can show that the actor has been trained
(blocked) so as not to put themselves at undue risk during the
platform's use, all the better.