[SML] railing height on a temporary platform

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Mon Nov 9 22:31:42 UTC 2015

These seem applicable/interesting:
http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/USITT/USITT2013/Custom/Handout/Speaker0_Session445_1.pdf

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=22337

-----Original Message-----
From: Stagecraft [mailto:stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net] On Behalf Of Roger Bardwell via Stagecraft
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2015 4:13 PM
To: stagecraft at theatrical.net
Cc: Roger Bardwell <rbardwell at hudsonscenic.com>
Subject: Re: [SML] railing height on a temporary platform

You should be looking for guardrail specifications not handrail. Handrails are on stairs to assist in climbing and are lower than guardrails.

The IBC (2003) says that guards are required "along open sided walking surfaces, mezzanines . . . that are more than 30" above the floor below." There are some exceptions, the most relevant being "On the audience side of stages raised platforms, including steps leading up to the stage and raised platforms."

OSHA says that the top edge of the guard rail must be 42" plus or minus 3" above the walking surface. I believe regulators have permitted such guards to be removed for performance. Their existence on platforms as opposed to stage edges is spotty at best.

The IBC has a provision for "Sightline-constrained guard heights." They need to b4e 26" where the floor is 30" above the floor below. At the ends of aisles this rail must be a minimum of 36" height and 42" measured diagonally from the nosing of the nearest tread. Although this last is not directly applicable it might inform your choices in threading the line between the performers safety and the aesthetic requirements.

On 11/8/2015 8:50 PM, Dan Feith via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know that there is a specific height for a railing on a temporary
> platform. Can anyone tell me what it is?
>
> I've got a set with a platform at +8'. The railings are currently 36"
> high. The problem is that when someone is sitting at a desk on the
> platform the railing blocks part of their face.
> We're thinking of lowering the railing to 30" but I think that might
> be too low.

Roger Bardwell, P.E.
Foreman / Chief Engineer
Hudson Scenic Studio