[SML] railing height on a temporary platform

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 01:45:06 UTC 2015

Roger has it pretty correct IMHO though I believe - from memory - the OSHA
guard is minimum 42". First, 42" was a compromise post WW II - 44" was
thought more correct - and we are taller today. Not that hard to fall over
a 42" guard.

I do believe the exemption for the stage would apply as far as building
code and local officials. Keep in mind this does not necessarily exempt all
edges of the raised area with a fall hazard.

OSHA is less clear. It doesn't require the guard per se, but you are
responsible for protecting the actor as well as technicians, prop people,
etc., from the hazard. There is not a prescriptive solution or anyone who
can tell you if its good enough. Unlike the building code and building
officials or authorities having jurisdiction,  there are few options for
"safe haven" support and ruling.

You might look at the appendix of the latest life safety code which no
longer simply exempts stages. You have to have a written plan.

Good luck!