[SML] railing height on a temporary platform

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 03:41:22 UTC 2015

So OSHA says: "Top edge height of top rails, or equivalent guardrail system
members, shall be 42 inches (1.1 m) plus or minus 3 inches (8 cm) above the
walking/working level. When conditions warrant, the height of the top edge
may exceed the 45-inch height, provided the guardrail system meets all
other criteria of this paragraph.

Note: When employees are using stilts, the top edge height of the top rail,
or equivalent member, shall be increased an amount equal to the height of
the stilts."

Roger us correct but so am I. Typical poor OSHA writing where it never
clearly says what is required. The national model building code and fire
codes, like IBC and LSC, try very hard to be very close as to what exactly
is required.

I had not noticed the "stilts" note but when I detail the onstage guard of
high, kind of same thing.