[SML] FW: Aggregate hours for majors?

Dudley, David H dhdudl at wm.edu
Tue Nov 10 18:57:21 UTC 2015

From: Dudley, David H
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:44 PM
To: 'stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net' <stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net>
Cc: 'jrpmcafee at gmail.com' <jrpmcafee at gmail.com>
Subject: Aggregate hours for majors?

Hi, John -

As you probably remember, we require load-in (4 hours) and strike (5 hours) participation from the Stagecraft class, and the Lighting class, as part of the in-class grade. The classes do get a regular class day off to compensate for the attendance requirements.

Do not allow it to be considered "slave labor". Load-in and strike are an important part of teaching standard practice and technique. These students who build the set need to know how the set goes together. Load-in and Strike are important parts of learning our discipline. It needs to be part of the academic curriculum for technical classes.

At load-in, they get to see why a particular unit was built the way it was; how it all goes together. Becomes less of a indentured servant problem if they understand why their participation at load-in is required and see their other work come together. Same with strike. (Why didn't we use glue on that platform lid? So you can take it apart!).

We require 40 hours outside of regular Stagecraft class meetings as a Practical Laboratory part of their overall grade. Many choose to get some of those hours at load-in (anything past four hours counts toward lab hours), which I will encourage if the load-in will benefit.

Partly because we have to strike and get off the stage in one session, the cast is required to participate at strike. Strike assignments are made based on their skills and abilities. Within our program, we try to minimize the "our jobs" vs "their jobs"; we try to emphasize "for the Good of the Production". We're not here to "serve" the cast. We're here as part of a collaborative effort to present a piece of Art.

The crews' contribution to a performance is just as important as the performers'. Might have to fight that battle with your colleagues? Perhaps cast participation should be required for load-in, for the "Good of the Production".

We also offer an upper level Practicum Class for carpenters or props masters (other disciplines, too) which provides incentive for busy students to take on substantive roles. Load-in/Strike is required of these students, too. Two of these are mandatory for the major.

We also have some work-study carpenters who are expected to come in. If need be, I'll offer time-and-a-half when I am desperate (or offer to fire them if they don't come in.) These folks are more skilled and often become team leaders.

Our problem is finding show crew. We have created an entry level one credit practicum class to encourage newbies to learn our standard performance practices and techniques by participating on show crew and to provide a vehicle to get them involved in our program. Still refining that process. Easier to recruit for "Avenue Q" than for "The Oresteia"...

Dave

David H. Dudley, Technical Director
Department of Theatre, Speech, & Dance
College of William & Mary