[SML] FW: Aggregate hours for majors?

Chad Croteau cpcroteau at bell.net
Sat Nov 21 13:13:40 UTC 2015

Hi John,

At my college, we require our students to complete a minimum of 400 hours of practicum over 4 semesters.  Practicum is invaluable to the students' education because it is where "the rubber meets the road".  This is where the theory we've covered in class and the skills they practiced in class become clear as to how they apply to production.  They also get a clear sense of how much work goes into mounting a show, the clear understanding of deadlines and so much more.  The number of times I've heard "so THATS why that's so important!" Is incredible.  It truly proves that in-class explanations are not enough, they need the practice to make it concrete.

And while they may end up doing things like sweeping, mopping and such, I don't consider that "slave labour" because it's part of the job.

My question for you, John, is why would you not spread out the required production hours over 4 years instead of letting the students ignore it till the 11th hour?  Could you break it into a practicum course over each semester?

Just my thoughts...

Chad